Fabricate, assemble, install, and repair sheet metal roofing products. Work may involve setting up and operating fabricating machines to cut, bend, and straighten sheet metal; shaping metal over anvils, blocks, or forms using hammer operating soldering and welding equipment to join sheet metal parts inspecting, assembling, and smoothing seams and joints of burred surfaces.
- Working efficiently with a team to keep project on time and within budget.
- Install, remove, repair and replace new or existing metal roofs.
- Maintain a clean and safe work site.
- Operate various hand and power tools.
- Meet strict safety requirements.
- Lifting and moving heavy building materials.
- Assist project manager and other team members as needed.
- Other duties as assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skill and Abilities
- Knowledge of roofing construction and metal roofing system applications.
- Install assemblies, such as flashing, pipes, tubes, heating and air conditioning ducts, furnace casings, rain gutters, and down spouts, in supportive frameworks.
- Select gauges and types of sheet metal or non-metallic material, according to product specifications.
- Knowledge of necessary tools,equipment, materials and methods needed to complete metal roofing projects.
- Drill and punch holes in metal for screws, bolts and rivets.
- Fasten seams and joints together with welds, bolts, cement, rivets, solder, caulks, metal drive clips, and bonds in order to assemble components into products or to repair sheet metal items.
- Fabricate or alter parts at construction sites, using shears, hammers, punches, and drills.
- Trim, file, grind, deburr, buff, and smooth surfaces, seams, and joints of assembled parts, using hand tools and portable power tools.
- Finish parts, using hacksaws, and hand, rotary, or squaring shears.
- Maintain equipment, making repairs and modifications when necessary.
- Shape metal material over anvils, blocks, or other forms, using hand tools.
- Transport prefabricated parts to construction sites for assembly and installation.
- Develop and lay out patterns that use materials most efficiently, using computerized metalworking equipment to experiment with different layouts.
- Inspect individual parts, assemblies, and installations for conformance to specifications and building codes, using measuring instruments such as calipers, scales, and micrometers.
- Secure metal roof panels in place, then interlock and fasten grooved panel edges.
- Determine project requirements, including scope, assembly sequences, and required methods and materials, according to blueprints, drawings, and written or verbal instructions.
- Lay out, measure, and mark dimensions and reference lines on material, such as roofing panels, according to drawings or templates, using calculators, scribes, dividers, squares, and rulers.
- Maneuver completed units into position for installation, and anchor the units.
- Convert blueprints into shop drawings to be followed in the construction and assembly of sheet metal products.
- Fasten roof panel edges and machine-made molding to structures, nailing or welding pieces into place.
- Should be trained in fall protection and safety planning.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.
- Fluent in the English language.
- Ability to prioritize and meet deadlines.
- Problem solving abilities.
- Ability to work in inclement weather conditions.
- Considerable knowledge of work hazards and safety precautions.
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions.
- Minimum 3+ years of experience in metal roofing.
- Journeyman Roofer - Certification is an asset.
- Journeyman Roofer - Red Seal is an asset.
- Valid driver’s license.
- Own vehicle and tools are an asset.
- Experience in roofing operations.
- Ability to work at heights on a flat or sloped roof.
- Can lift up to >22kg (>50 lbs).